2D VS 3D
There are many differences between 2D and 3D animations. Few of them are listed below:
- 2D animation can only create 2 dimensional characters. That means the character will only poses height and width but no depth.
- 2D animation characters are created using traditional drawing method. Here, each action of the character is created frame by frame using normal hand drawing.
- 2D animation is very cheap compared to 3D animation and can be produced in a short period of time. It only needs skilled personnel’s who are able to draw and sketch.
- 2D animation is not suitable for concept design since it can only display the 2 dimensions of an architecture or model.
- It is very easy to fix the errors in 2D animation because you only need to redraw the particular action or sequence if something went wrong.
- In 3D animation, all the characters will be 3 dimensional. That means the character poses its height, width and depth. They will be more realistic compared to 2D characters and can create real lifelike characters.
- 3D animation includes different steps like modelling, texturing, lighting, rigging, rendering etc. and are performed with the help of computer software.
- 3D animation involves several steps and requires skilled professionals to complete the process. So you need to pay more to get those skilled labour.
- 3D animations have no limitations compared to 2D animation.
- 3D animation is perfect for conceptual designing as they can provide a 3 dimensional view of the model.
Role of an Animator
A person who creates animations is called animator. Animator uses various computer technologies to capture the still images and then animates them in desired sequence. Animators possess excellent artistic skills and they know the best application of their skills. They also possess high level of creativeness. A professional Animator has a great understanding of the techniques and technology utilized in animation. They are experts in the usage of widely used animation software like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Eyeon Fusion, Adobe premiere Pro, 3Ds Max, Maya, etc. Apart from having a strong command over verbal and written communication skills, the professional designers or animators have a strong command over their art and sketching along with a strong command on verbal and written communication skills. Animators keep themselves updated with all the present and new software available in the animation market. A professional Animator and Designer listens and understands his client’s perspective very carefully and with patience and then works on his assignment.
Segments Where Animation is Used
Initially animation was only restricted to television content like cartoons and animation film making with special effects. But now animation has expanded in many professional fields such as:
- Media and Entertainment Industry: Media and entertainment industry is extremely wide comprising of Television industry, Print industry, Radio industry and Film industry. It also includes T.V commercial and promotional advertisements, online and mobile entertainment.
- Medical Industry: 3D computer animation technique is being used in sectors like healthcare and pharmaceutical in the form of a short film. Medical animation is used as learning tool for doctors and their patients. Scientists and forensic professionals make use of computer animation and other form of visual aids to resolve cases.
- Mechanical Animation: Engineers can form the virtual models of products and other mechanical designs using computer modeling and animation techniques.
- Animation in Education: Animation has become one of the best mediums to teach the students in a simplest manner.
- Other Segments: Aviation industry, Fashion Designing, Jewelry Designing and Interior Designing.